If you use Instagram for business, you may be wondering if it's worth creating a business account, or if a personal account is enough. While personal accounts on Instagram work well for some small businesses, Instagram has added important features to business accounts to help businesses run and grow their businesses. We'll outline the differences between personal and business Instagram accounts and share their pros and cons so you can decide how best to approach the platform for social media marketing or other purposes.
What is an Instagram business account?
An Instagram business account tells Instagram that you're using the platform for marketing or business purposes. You'll gain access to important features that build brand authority, make it easier to market your business, and analyze your Instagram activity.
To engage Millennials on Instagram, use your posts to show you're passionate about your business, create engaging videos, and encourage user-generated content.
What is the difference between a personal account and a business account on Instagram?
Most people agree that you should run your business on Instagram. However, you may be wondering whether you need to take the extra step of creating a business Instagram account. The main difference between a personal Instagram account and a business Instagram account is that business accounts offer additional features that are not available on personal accounts.
These additional features include:
- Ability to add swipe-up links to Stories (if account has at least 10,000 followers)
- Ability to increase posts
- Shoppable posts
- instagram insights
- promoted post
- contact link
- post schedule
- automatic posting
If you're considering an Instagram business account, consider your company's goals and what you want to accomplish through the platform. Are you using it to share content about your business and connect with your followers? Do you need a full-featured marketing tool with analytics, insights, and other powerful features?
Which account type fits your marketing plan and helps you achieve your goals?
Businesses need a social media presence to increase brand awareness, drive traffic to their websites, promote their content, and connect with customers.
Pros and cons of a personal Instagram account
Most of Instagram's more than 1.6 billion registered users have personal accounts. However, businesses often have different Instagram goals than individual users, so it's important to consider the pros and cons of each account type.
Although there are some benefits to using a personal account for your business, there are some significant drawbacks to this approach.
Here are the benefits of using a personal account for your business on Instagram.
- Organic reach: The best part about using a personal account as a business is knowing that your content is working because it's reaching your followers and they really like it and want to see it. All engagement is natural and organic. You don't have to wonder whether it's because of paid ads or boosted posts.
- Ability to connect multiple Facebook pages: Your personal Instagram profile allows you to connect to multiple Facebook pages. In contrast, a business account can only be linked to one account. If your business has multiple Facebook pages (for example, in multiple locations), a personal Instagram profile may be a better fit for your business.
- Option to remain private: Another potential benefit of a personal account is the ability to keep your profile private. A private profile requires your Instagram followers to accept your request before they can see your content.If you have a private profile, your content[探索]tab and your Instagram posts won't show up in related hashtag searches. This is an advantage if you want to remain private and potentially have your follower's friends join your Follow Her list. However, this can be a major drawback if you are trying to expand your reach and increase brand awareness.
Using a personal Instagram account for your business comes with some limitations, including:
- Missing features: The biggest advantage of an Instagram business account is its rich set of features designed specifically for small and medium-sized businesses. If you use a personal account, you cannot access these features. This limits your growth potential and reduces your chances of building brand awareness.
- Unreliable: When people search for a business, they expect to see business accounts. It can be unpleasant to discover that your business is using your personal account. It can also make your business look unprofessional and cause people to question whether it's a real business.
Pros and cons of Instagram business accounts
Instagram business accounts come with multiple features that improve your return on digital marketing investment. However, business accounts have some potential drawbacks. Here are the pros and cons of Instagram business accounts:
Instagram Insights is one of the biggest benefits of an Instagram business account. Instagram Insights is a data analysis tool that provides detailed analysis of the following metrics:
- Viewer information
- post performance
- story performance
- hashtag analysis
- Number of followers
- Paid advertising performance
- Best time to post
- click-through rate
- Visitor information
Instagram Insights helps you tailor your Instagram posts and content to your audience and achieve your goals. For example, you can use insights to determine which campaigns are most effective, which posts perform best, and which Stories bring the most follower engagement. These insights can help you drive more traffic and sales.
Other benefits of an Instagram business account include:
- Contact us button: Business accounts have a contact button on your account profile where you can add your email address, phone number, and address. This information increases the credibility of your business and makes it easier to reach potential customers.
- Links in story: If your business account has at least 10,000 followers, you can add swipe-up links to your stories. Your followers can swipe up on the links you provide, including links to websites, products, and reviews. Story links make it easy to direct your followers to other sites instead of asking them to click a link in your profile.
- Instagram ads: With a business account, you can create paid ads that can be tracked using Insights. Instagram ads are a great way to increase brand awareness, expand your reach, and target specific audiences.
- Boosted posts: Boosting or promoting posts – also a feature specific to business accounts – allows you to amplify your successful posts and send them to all your followers, your recommended audience, or a target group of your choice. Boosted posts appear as sponsored posts in your followers' Instagram feeds.
- Scheduled posts: A business Instagram account allows you to schedule posts in advance, saving you time and effort.
Businesses can use Instagram Stories as a tool to better tell their brand's story with behind-the-scenes images and videos about their people, processes, and events.
Although the cons of a business Instagram account are limited, keep in mind the following potential drawbacks.
- Impersonal atmosphere: Social media in business is all about engagement and making connections. However, your followers may be less willing to engage with your Instagram business profile than your personal account. They may view your business account as a promotion.
- Possibility of reduced visibility: Some followers' feeds may include businesses or Instagram influencers trying to sell products or services. They may become overwhelmed and frustrated by the lack of organic content and unfollow business accounts. If you partner with influencers to market your products, avoid this by limiting your promotional content and aiming for a natural, natural tone.
Further work: Business accounts require monitoring and consistency. If you hire a social media manager, managing your business Instagram account can also be expensive. You can update your personal account whenever you want without risking your business reputation or potential customers.
Working with Instagram influencers can help you build trust with your online customers. It helps you promote your brand and expand your social media reach without over-hyping it.
If you still have questions about Instagram business and personal accounts, check out answers to these frequently asked questions.
Does Instagram penalize business accounts?
No, Instagram does not penalize business accounts. Instagram says there's no difference between having a feed for business and personal accounts, and having one over the other won't affect your reach.
Will my Instagram business account hurt my reach and engagement?
no. Your business account won't hurt your reach or engagement. On the contrary, a business account can provide valuable data that can inform your Instagram marketing strategy and ultimately lead to more growth and engagement.
Should you create a separate Instagram account for your business?
yes. We recommend creating a dedicated professional Instagram account. This gives your customers a designated place on social media to access and interact with your business. Instead of mixing business and personal content, you can focus on promoting your business. It also helps you look professional and strengthen your brand.
Will my Instagram business account get more followers?
The number of followers is determined by many factors, including reach, brand awareness, and marketing efforts. The type of account does not determine the number of followers.
What is the best time to post on Instagram as a business?
The best posting time depends on your business and your followers' time zones. Use Instagram Insights to see when your posts get the most engagement and try to post during those times.
What content does Instagram's algorithm prioritize?
In 2023, Instagram updated its algorithm to better prioritize:
- photograph: Previous versions gave higher rankings to video content. But now photos are on par with videos.
- New content: It's more important than ever to consistently create new, original content. Reposts and shares will rank lower.
- Conversation starter: Spark the conversation by asking your followers for their opinions and making bold statements.
What would you do if you were an influencer? Do I need to have a personal account?
If your goal is to earn money through your Instagram following, it can be helpful to have another Instagram account type called a creator account. Creator accounts are created exclusively for influencers.
How much does an Instagram business account cost?
Instagram business accounts are free. You only pay if you purchase ads.
How can I help potential followers find my Instagram business account?
One of the great features of a professional account is the ability to choose categories. Instagram has over 1,500 business categories listed. When you first set up your business account, you'll be asked to select a category. Selecting this will make the category appear on your Instagram profile and appear when people search for the category or category and location. Categories are not available for personal Instagram accounts.
Additionally, you should promote your Instagram profile through your website and other social accounts, as well as through emails and billboards.
If I already have a personal Instagram account set up for my business, can I switch it to a business account?
yes. In the Instagram app, go to your profile.Tap on his from the top right menu Settings and privacy > Account types and tools > Switch to pro account. Select your industry, work. Please note that your personal account must be public to switch to a professional account.
Jennifer D'Abrino contributed to this article.