Surveys allow businesses in all industries to efficiently gather candid feedback, opinions, and answers from customers and employees, and use that information to improve operations, make necessary adjustments to onboarding processes, increase sales, and reduce costs. , can be used to discover product development opportunities. Survey responses can confirm the effectiveness of current practices or spark discussion about strategic business decisions, providing unbiased data to guide decision-making. Feedback collected from surveys can tell you what your customers think about your brand or product, and can also provide a baseline for comparison over time. However, there are many different types of surveys and techniques, so before you design your survey, you should understand the differences so you can choose the type of survey that best suits your needs. It's also important to understand best practices for putting together surveys that provide usable, valid results and ensure higher response rates.
Type of investigation
The following types of surveys can help your business in a variety of ways.
market research survey
Market research surveys allow you to gather information about your market, such as where and how your products are purchased, customer demographics, and the competitive environment. This type of research can be used to research specific target markets, measure brand awareness, and identify product and pricing opportunities.
You can conduct market research studies even if you don't have data about your audience or product (for example, to assess your audience's feelings about the product you're launching). It can also be measured against benchmarks based on data you have already collected (e.g. to see how a newly launched product is perceived in the market a year after its launch) .
Market research surveys can help you grow your business by:
- Provide instant data on what customers think about your products and services
- The ability to collect data in a structured manner allows businesses to develop strategies based on informed decisions.
- Identify the strengths and weaknesses of your product or service
Potential customer discovery survey
Lead generation surveys allow you to collect contact information and some preferences from your target audience. This allows you to create a list of potential customers who may be interested in purchasing your product or service.
Lead generation surveys need to be focused because you don't want to reject respondents with too many questions. It should include a minimum of form fields to collect contact information (name, email address, etc.), an opt-in checkbox for email subscriptions, and questions related to your product or service preferences.
Lead generation surveys can help your business grow by:
- Provide leads interested in your products and services
- You can help identify your prospects by asking them questions about their preferences and needs.
- Obtain permission to contact the prospect since they have opted in to fill out the survey.
Brand awareness survey
A brand awareness survey can help you determine how well your customers know about your brand, what your name and logo mean, and what your brand stands for. It's important to be memorable so your customers will remember you when they're looking to buy a product or service.
Use the following metrics when creating your brand awareness survey:
- brand loyalty How likely is your audience to come back the next time they make a purchase?
- brand identity Audience opinions on logos and brand elements.
- brand image It’s what your audience associates with your brand.
- brand recognition It’s how your audience perceives your brand when they see it.
- brand recall It's how well your audience remembers your brand.
- brand trust It’s all about how much your audience can trust your brand.
Increasing brand awareness is essential to building an audience. You can use brand awareness research and market research data to create marketing that communicates your brand name and related products and services.
Brand awareness research can help your business grow by:
- Measuring the effectiveness and performance of marketing strategies and investments
- Identify respondents' associations with your brand so you can discover new business opportunities
- See if your brand is being perceived in a way that is consistent with its historical positioning, or demonstrate room for improvement
customer satisfaction survey
Customer satisfaction surveys allow you to measure customer satisfaction with your company and products or services. It also helps increase sales. Prospects and customers respond to positive reviews from other customers, especially if the reviews are published online. However, you can't force customers to say they're satisfied or fill out customer satisfaction surveys. Ask the right questions and make filling out fun for your customers.
Customer satisfaction surveys can help your business grow by:
- Indicate whether customers are loyal to your brand and intend to repurchase your products
- Determine if your customers are satisfied, increase customer lifetime value, and reduce churn
- Measure customer satisfaction, address negative feedback, and improve your service and brand image.
- Retaining customers is cheaper than acquiring new customers
- Identify brand ambassadors (i.e., respondents who say they are very satisfied with your product or service)
Event evaluation survey
Event rating surveys allow you to get customer feedback about your event. You can also measure success after the event ends, which can help you better plan future events (or decide if it's worth doing).
Event evaluation surveys can also help you determine how attendees viewed your event differently. Some participants may not have enjoyed a particular part of the event, while others may have liked it. Match the tone of your event evaluation survey to the tone of your event (i.e., if your event is fun, make your survey fun too).
Event evaluation surveys can help you grow your business by:
- Gather participants' honest opinions and current perceptions about the event
- Give your customers the opportunity to interact with your brand
- Allows us to collect data to improve future events
New employee survey
New employee surveys allow you to identify problems in your onboarding process and make necessary changes to provide a positive experience for prospective employees. It also focuses on the employee experience during their first few weeks or months on the job, which can significantly set the tone for employee morale and productivity in the long run. New employee survey results can improve employee satisfaction and help you attract and retain employees. New employee surveys should be conducted within an employee's first few months on the job.
New hire surveys can help your business grow by:
- Provide information on which aspects of onboarding and training procedures are working and which are not.
- Identify issues that are hindering employee productivity
- Boost team morale
- Accurately identify and respond to individual employee needs
Employee satisfaction survey
Employee satisfaction surveys allow you to determine whether your employees are satisfied with their work environment. This includes asking employees for feedback on different parts of their jobs and listing any concerns or grievances they have with the company. Surveys should include questions about the company climate and how employees feel within a team environment. Positive survey responses can indicate that your employees are highly motivated and have a strong team spirit.
Conduct annual employee satisfaction surveys to monitor sentiment over time. Protecting your employees' anonymity when completing surveys will result in more honest responses.
Employee satisfaction surveys can help your business grow by:
- Gather insights and recommendations to help improve your company
- Identify areas of your business that may need improvement
- Boost morale by involving employees in improving the company
- Allows you to track employee satisfaction improvements over time
job satisfaction survey
Job satisfaction surveys allow you to assess individual employees' opinions of their company and determine how satisfied they are with their jobs. This is similar to an employee satisfaction survey, but targeted at specific roles. Conducting job satisfaction surveys can have a direct impact on employee morale, so be sure to protect employee confidentiality.
Job satisfaction surveys can help your business grow by:
- Reveal direct insights into how employees work within teams
- By providing actionable goals for employees to achieve based on their input, you can improve their communication skills, teamwork, and ambition.
- Collecting data to support additional training and instruction
- Connecting employee job satisfaction to the quality of work and how employees represent the company
Training evaluation questionnaire
Training evaluation surveys allow employees to provide feedback and opinions on your company's training programs. Surveys can ask about the quality of training content, how relevant it is to their role, and instructor performance. It also helps you assess how well the course material is understood, allowing you and your instructor to quickly address any issues. Training evaluation surveys help you get the most out of your training budget and resources.
Training evaluation surveys can help you grow your business by:
- Assessing the quality of training, instructors, and trainees
- Stay up to date with industry trends and support employee growth
- Increased participant productivity and satisfaction
- Improve all elements of your training and adjust your training goals
Exit interview survey
Exit interview surveys can help you learn why employees choose to leave your company. People may leave due to personality conflicts, lack of advancement opportunities, better financial incentives in other organizations, or personal reasons. Determining the reason for resignation will help you clarify why someone left and determine if you can do something to improve.
When combined with other employee satisfaction surveys, exit interview surveys can provide valuable information on how to improve the work environment. Additionally, this type of research allows you to identify what your employees enjoy and what things are working well for them.
Exit interview surveys can help your business grow by:
- Identify ways to improve employee role and overall satisfaction
- Resolving issues early reduces employee turnover and helps increase productivity and employee engagement.
- Predict the well-being of your remaining employees and help reduce turnover and related costs.
Build an email marketing contact list to connect with potential respondents for your customer surveys (keeping best practices and legal requirements in mind).
If your organization lacks the time or resources to assemble and conduct a survey, there are many third-party companies that can assist with all or part of the process, including Delighted, SurveyMonkey, CustomerThermometer, Nicereply, Askia, and Global. there is. Survey, IntelliSurvey, and Just The Facts, Inc. to name a few.
Some customer service platforms like Zendesk, Help Desk, and Help Scout offer built-in customer experience surveys, but these tend to be short and ask broad questions, which may not meet your needs.
A call center or answering service is the best way to outsource your phone surveys. There are a huge number of options available, but we've compiled a list of the best call centers and answering services to help guide you through the process of choosing the one that best suits your needs.
Jocelyn Pollock contributed to the writing and reporting of this article.