Fairfax County, Virginia (DC News Now) — As the new year begins, Fairfax County Police are reminding everyone, including small business owners, to stay safe.
The Fairfax County Police Department has announced several methods that may help business owners protect their property.
- Install surveillance cameras in visible locations both inside and outside the store to act as a deterrent.
- To prevent criminal activity, please provide bright lighting around your store, especially during off-hours.
- Install an alarm system that alerts law enforcement to respond in the event of a break-in. Install signs to notify people that the alarm system is in use.
- Use strong locks on your doors and consider shatter-resistant glass.
- Build a network with nearby business owners and share information as needed.
- Have secure cash handling protocols in place to minimize theft. Consider using a safe or cash management system and train employees on safe handling of cash.
- Create emergency procedures, including evacuation plans and emergency exit locations, and review them regularly.
- Perform regular inventory audits to track your products. Take security measures to prevent theft and monitor inventory flow.
- Train employees to be vigilant and report suspicious activity.
Click here for more information here.